March 20, 2009

Tutorial... for the lack of sewing.


I was forced to stay away from my sewing machine for the whole week. It is Friday and after work we were supposed to go out with our friends. I still had about an hour and so before I needed to leave. Soo, I had these jeans that I wanted to wear, but they were about 2"-2.5" too long. I am not too big on the high heels to solve this problem and the place where we were going is very informal. Well, I decided to use up the little time I have and get closer with my sewing machine once again.
This is how I hemmed my jeans.
1. I tried them on and with the shoes on, I marked how long I wanted them. Then I folded them up and measured 1 and 1/4" from the original hem. I sewed 1/4" away from original stitching. See pictures...


I've seen people sewing right next to original stitching, but I was afraid that it would be too bulky.




2. After all stitched I folded it back and pressed. I changed my thread to black, so it was matching the original thread (if yours is yellow, you can actualy buy jeans brownish/yellow thread in most fabric stores) and sewed over one more time right side up. There are going to be areas where you would have a lot of layers of jeans to sew over. Just slow down or sew it manually (you turn the wheel on the side of your machine.





3. All done! I was too lazy and in hurry to cut the extra from jeans that you hemmed in. I might still do it. I would use zig zag stich to make sure they wouldn't frey.


I think that most of you probably know how to do this, but i felt like the tutorial today, so there it is. Maybe it would help some of you.
I am missing on those specific terms, but I hope that the pictures will be helpful. Let me know if you have any question.
Oh, the night out with friends was nice. The old/new jeans are so comfy, great for the Friday night.

2 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Great tutorial. I would never have thought to do it that way..very clever. That's one I'll have to remember.

Jessica said...

I need to do that to about 5 pairs of jeans in my closet...I'll get on that right now!